May 23, 2010 -- The American Association of Equine Practitioners will offer a Horsemen's Seminar, A Winning Edge: Promoting Peak Performance in Equine Athletes, on Friday, September 24, 2010, at the Embassy Suites in Lexington, Ky.
This seminar, designed exclusively for horse owners, will provide the knowledge needed to care for a horse that is a world-class athlete. Held in conjunction with the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian GamesT in Lexington, the program features topics that are important to the overall health and well-being of performance horses.
- 8:30 a.m. - "FEI Rules & Regulations Regarding the Use of Medications in Sport Horses" - Kent Allen, DVM
- 9:30 a.m. - "Use of Joint Medications for the Sport Horse" - Wayne McIlwraith, BVSc, PhD, FRCVS, DSc
- 10:30 a.m. - BREAK
- 10:45 a.m. - "Managing Carbohydrates for Performance Horses" - Bill Vandergrift, PhD
- 11:30 a.m. - "Current Threats Faced by the Sport Horse Industry" - Graeme Cooke, MA, VetMB, MRCVS
- 12:15 p.m. - LUNCH
- 1:00 p.m. - "Purchasing or Adopting the Ex-Racehorse for Sport: What Will Help Me Succeed?" - Chris Newton, DVM
- 1:45 p.m. - "Activate Your Horse's Core: Unmounted Exercises for Suppleness, Strength and Balance" - Hilary Clayton, BVMS, PhD, MRCVS
- 2:45 p.m. - BREAK
- 3:00 p.m. - "Muscle Diseases in the Sport Horse" - Stephanie Valberg, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVIM
- 3:45 p.m. - "Shoeing Options for Sport Horse Disciplines" - Rodney J. King, NZCEF, CJF, AWCF
All topics and speakers are tentative and subject to change.
Registration is $75 per person and the deadline to pre-register is September 7. Lunch is included with registration. Register now for the seminar.