Decorating your barn is a fun way to get into the spirit of the season. Make sure, however, that you’re not putting your horse’s health at risk. Follow these five guidelines to celebrate the season safely:
• Choose only lights rated for outdoor use.
• Make sure your wreaths, garlands and other greenery don’t contain yew or other toxic plants.
• Remember that horses who are not acclimated to the sound of harness bells may spook when they hear them.
• Use only unbreakable ornaments and decorations, made for outdoor use.
• Hang all lights and decorations well out of reach of curious horses.
This article first appeared in the December 2017 issue of EQUUS (Volume #483)