Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine Celebrates 100th Anniversary

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0


FORT COLLINS - Colorado State University's College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences celebrates its 100 year anniversary in 2007.

CSU-CVM-100-yr-icon_PP-709467

Responsible for research that has improved health for animals and humans, the college is consistently ranked among the top two colleges of its kind in the nation and receives more federal funding to support research than any other college of its kind.

In 1907, the Department of Veterinary Sciences was established by the Colorado State Board of Agriculture, the board that governed Colorado State University at that time. The first class of 27 students graduated in 1910. Today, admission into the college is extremely competitive with more than 1,600 annual applications to the professional veterinary medicine degree program alone - admission is limited to 134. More than 85 percent of the students in the college are women, a trend that took many years to establish. The first female student graduated from the college in 1932.

CSU's College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences boasts numerous firsts in the care and treatment of horses that highlight the history of the college since its establishment.

Included on that list are:
- CSU was home to the first calves and foals produced by artificial insemination in which research pre-determined the sex of calves;
- CSU was the first to produce twin foals by splitting a single embryo;
- in 1915, CSU's Dr. Harry Kingman, Professor in the Department of Veterinary Science, took the first
radiograph of a horse's hoof;
- CSU developed a test to evaluate the status of joint cartilage, allowing the identification of early stages of arthritis in animals and humans.
--in 1912, CSU's Dr. Benjamin F. Kaupp, Director of the Pathology Laboratory, helped stop a devastating outbreak in horses in the Arkansas Valley of an unknown disease by developing an experimental vaccine from infected brain tissue. The disease was later identified as cerebrospinal meningitis;
--in 1937, CSU's Dr. James Farquharson, Head of the Department of Surgery, presented a milestone paper before the Section of General Practice at the 77th Annual Meeting of the AVMA in Washington, D.C. His paper, "Abdominal Surgery in the Horse," advanced the concept of aseptic surgery in large animals at a time when this approach was generally regarded as costly and unnecessary.

Most horse people know CSU today as a leading institution in equine reproduction research and in orthopedics and joint disease in horses.

Visit the college's anniversary web site to learn more about the past and present accomplishments of the university's equine programs.