The American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) Foundation has approved 2013 funding of $316,298 for 25 equine organizations and special projects committed to improving the welfare of the horse.
The Foundation Advisory Committee selected recipients from a group of new applications and ongoing projects seeking continued Foundation funding during its summer meeting in Lexington, Kentucky.
Among the initiatives receiving support are Equitarian workshops, student veterinary scholarships, important equine research, unwanted horse programs, and professional and youth development. New initiatives to receive funding include an October 2013 Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy Summit, the AAEP’s National Equine Health Plan Task Force and its efforts to develop an Equine Disease Communication Center, and additional support for laminitis research.
Congratulations to the following recipients (by category):
- Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM) Summit at United States Animal Health Association
- AAEP’s National Equine Health Plan (NEHP) Task Force and efforts to develop an Equine Disease Communication Center
Equine Advocacy/Unwanted Horses
- American Veterinary Medical Association Foundation’s Congressional Fellowship Program
- Unwanted Horse Coalition
- Operation Gelding Program
- AAEP Foundation’s Laminitis Research Project
- Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation
- Morris Animal Foundation
- Equine Research Coordination Group
- AAEP Past Presidents’ Research Fellow
- EQUUS Foundation/AAEP Foundation Research Fellows
- Equitarian Workshop in Mexico
- Equitarian Workshop in Costa Rica
- Fast Horses Seminar in Mongolia
- Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust
- World Equine Veterinary Association (Congress and Intermediate meetings)
Scholarships and Veterinary Student Development
- The Race For Education/Platinum Performance/AAEP Foundation Winner’s Circle Scholarships
- Markel/AAEP Foundation Scholarships
- Zoetis/AAEP Foundation Scholarships
- AAEP Student Member Programs
Youth Development in the Equine Community
- National FFA 2014 Student Career Workshops
To learn more about programs receiving financial support from the AAEP Foundation, visit www.aaep.org/foundation_where_dollars_go.htm.
For more information about the AAEP Foundation and its grant program, visit www.aaepfoundation.org.